Monday, November 19, 2007

Mumps

So, dear readers, it's official- I have the mumps.

I don't look quite like a chipmunk; in fact the swelling isn't all that noticeable. That's my excuse for not posting pictures of my upside-down-heart shaped face (made worse by my cone-head?).

But the kind pediatrician who diagnosed the other cases here on campus told me that I'm not allowed to go back to work for an additional seven days after all my symptoms are gone. Something about the children being our future... He also says I don't have encephalitis nor an enlarged pancreas, either of which would be bad complications and would be grounds for me writing a blog post entitled The Scenic Hospitals of Nairobi.

So for now I'm focusing on The Scenic Inside of My Apartment, but in the spirit of the season not celebrated in this country, here's a list of things I'm thankful for:
  • I now get Thanksgiving day off, even though it's not a Rosslyn holiday
  • I will be missing a staff development day
  • A couple of great math teachers are covering my classes, one of whom has a student teacher who will be teaching full-time during the next couple of weeks
  • I have internet access from my bedroom
  • My computer plays DVDs
  • I only feel mildly crummy
  • My appetite returned this afternoon
  • I recently got a care package from my church in New Mexico, and cleverly hidden among the items were 2 seasons of Numb3rs and 2 seasons of 24
  • Coworkers who have brought over books to read despite the risk of infection
  • A neighbor who gave me a ride to the doctor and has brought me dinner the last 3 nights
  • A care package of flowers, instant soup, and popsicles
  • Genuine care and support from my administrator
  • Parents who skype me each day and feel sorry for me
  • Emails from friends who remind me that though I may be invisible, I am not forgotten
I'm sure there will more news from The Scenic Inside of My Apartment soon, but for now, it's the unfortunately gregarious impala, signing off.

4 comments:

Jill said...

Sorry about the mumps! But I hope you enjoy them every bit as much as I did the chicken pox in 8th grade. I still remember those days of freedom with fondness.

Pinon Coffee said...

Yes, do enjoy your ill health. :-) I'm so glad the care package made it intact and in time!

And you are DEFINITELY not forgotten.

Keith Morgan said...

Hi Jessie,

Just wanted to let you know that God keeps you before us. We have a box of cards with people and things that we pray for written on them. The day that I found out you had the mumps, Silas pulled your name from the box. We have been and will continue to pray for you.

take care,

Keith Morgan
(and family)

Anonymous said...

it sucks that you're sick, but the blessing of having some time off is cool. enjoy your tv on dvd! *smile* did you know we moved to santa cruz, california for a bit while andrew goes to grad school? yeah, we did. lots going on in my heart. i miss you. i love you! xoxooxoxoxoxo