Saturday, March 21, 2009

More Police Adventures

I generally try not to live in fear. And so, despite my traumatic incident with police checkpoints last summer, I have slowly become more brave regarding them. In fact, this evening as Dalina and I were coming home from dinner, I had to decide which way to head home. Should I pick the longer way with more speedbumps but surely no checkpoints, or the more direct route that includes a checkpoint more often than not? I stoutheartedly chose the latter.

Sure enough, a flashlight was waved my direction, and so I pulled over. Our windows were open (it's hot!), so the policeman felt compelled to talk with us. I felt I was being very culturally appropriate- greeted him, answered his questions, was unintimidated. He glanced at my insurance sticker and asked to see my driver's license. No problem. I have a Kenyan driver's license- a red fold-out affair that states my date of birth as "over 18" and contains possibly the most flattering official photograph ever taken of me. Well, no one glances up at me in horror when they see it, anyway, which is an improvement over my drivers license in the States...

Unfortunately, the little red booklet was in a pocket of my purse I don't use that often, and when the policeman unfolded it, he found a thousand-shilling note tucked inside (basically a $20 bill). Corruption is a huge issue in Kenya; it looked like I was trying to bribe him. Which of course implies that I have something I would need to bribe him for, and assumes he would be interested in taking that bribe. He hands the booklet and the bill back to me and tells me there's some money in there. I am of course terribly embarrassed, and all my cultural awareness flies out the wide-open windows: I thank him profusely, commend him for being honest, and do what I would do in the States- ask for his name so I can tell his supervisor what a good job he has done. He laughs and continues to question me in a very friendly manner, which I interpret as false humility/African relationalness.

Then he asks for my number.

I'm sworn back off police checkpoints.

No comments: