Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Different Kind of Teaching

So they weren't kidding when they said it really helps to be flexible overseas.

I have lots of thoughts on what it means to be a good teacher, but I found some gaps in my theories as I have now been presented with an entirely new teaching challenge: how do you help kids learn, plan appropriately, and design meaningful activities for them without actually being with them and making those millions of adjustments teachers make each moment?

See, we're canceling school for the rest of the week because there are demonstrations scheduled throughout the country Wednesday through Friday. And since we already started a week late because of the unrest, we can't afford to pause our curriculum for any longer. So today I passed out plans and assignments so kids can move forward in math during the next 3-4 days. It's hard to take the teacher out of the equation when you're so used to thinking that the teacher is an essential part of the equation... Yet another opportunity for me to recognize and confess my pride. And as I said, it's an entirely new way to try to teach.

I've never been a terribly big fan of math books. They're boring. I'd much rather jump around in the front of my classroom and get my kids laughing and remembering and participating, so I rarely use the book. And on the occasion where reading out of the book truly is the best bet, the class gets to vote on which accent I'll use. I love to read construction word problems in a New York accent or go through sewing problems as a Southern Belle.

But in this case, I'm kinda stuck with the book sans accents. I'll admit, I have a pretty good book to work from; it's thorough and understandable. But it bums me out to write instructions that say, "Read these pages. Do these problems. Grade yourself. Now read these pages. Do these problems. And grade yourself." Meanwhile I'm thinking about how I have a song I'd usually teach them to learn this formula, or how we'd play Simon Says to reinforce that concept, or how I always make a trapezoid out of pink construction paper and name it Bob to demonstrate that idea. A year without Bob the trapezoid!?! That isn't math with Miss Gac!

And so I did the best I could to write plans that included a little variety. In some ways, it's worthwhile to have this new challenge. I'm sure it's good for me professionally. But I sure hope I don't have enough practice to get good at it- I've already been apart from my students for 2 months! I don't need the break!

But of course I want them to be safe, and we simply can't know what the days will hold. The Kenyan Parliament met for the first time today, and the streets in the are were shut down, TV cameras were banned, and I still haven't heard the results of the day's proceedings. One of my students who lives near the parliament building headed home at lunchtime to make sure she was in her house by the time they let out.

I have been oft-praying for my students and their safety, for the country that is now my home, for peace to come despite the stagnation and developing hard-line position of each side. If it makes my students safer, I'm willing to give up Bob the trapezoid.

But we're still playing Simon Says when they come back.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your blog, as I can get news of what is going on in Kenya. I have family there

Anonymous said...

Hey... I just figured out that I could leave you comments. How are you doing sweet girl? It sounds like you are being challenged and are growing in so many ways. I am so happy for you. Well much love. Stef

Anonymous said...

It's so sad that your students don't get Bob the trapezoid like we did... At least you're helping out in some way, though.