Wednesday, January 9, 2008

An Opportunity to Serve

I don't know how much you've been keeping up with events in Kenya, and I'm not sure what's making the news out of country anymore, but one of the most significant issues right now is caring for displaced people fleeing tribally motivated violence. Estimates of the number of refugees run in the hundreds of thousands.

My church here in Nairobi, Karura Community Chapel, has become a makeshift refugee camp in cooperation with the Red Cross. There are about 250 people being housed and fed on the church grounds, with more arriving each day. I went over this afternoon with another family- the Wheaton grads who took care of me when I was sick who've been in Kenya for 10 years- to deliver food and see how we could help out. We ended up sorting clothes, doing dishes, carrying water, and moving rocks for construction. I'm hoping to go back tomorrow morning to continue to work. Here are some pictures of what's been going on:

The tent where food is served

Displaced people sorting through donated clothes- often you can tell who the refugees are because they are wearing all the layers of clothes they ownBoys who've found a treasure- a box of legos!

Some of my students helping to build shower stalls

Hundreds of people made hundreds of dishes.
My back was sore from bending over a tub and scrubbing-
even if I could change the color of my skin to fit in, my motor patterns would give me away.
But my tenacious scrubbing was a cause for much laughter between the women.

Fancy dresses on top of striped shirts
I'm so grateful to be going to a church that decides it needs to DO something! The humility and prayerful action of the church leadership encourages me greatly.

No comments: