Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Sweetwaters Slides

In some ways, a blog is like an the obligatory slide show your relatives put you through after they go somewhere they think is really cool. But you're probably not related to me, and, unlike one of my friends (who will remain nameless but is an actuary...), I don't keep track of how long each user spends looking at my blog. So if you skim the pictures, I'll never know.

We had a short break last weekend, and my friend Wendy wanted to go to the equator. Paul, the flashlight-bearing reef-goat from a previous post, thought it would be dumb to drive 3 hours, stand under a sign, and drive back. Especially if he were doing the driving. So he arranged for the 5 of us to spend the night at a tented camp inside a private game park nearby.

Please dim the lights; the slide show is about to start.

The equator and the car that got us there

Outside the girls' "tent"- more like a not-so-soundproof hotel room


Sweetwaters, the retreat where we were staying, is right next to a waterhole.


It must be hard to be that tall.


At the chimp refuge, we witnessed some normal Kenyan rule-keeping:
Paul showed us that as long as you're nice to the guard, the sign doesn't really apply to you.


In fact, the guide probably figures it's a good idea...

And he'll help you get some better pictures, too!


And now for the boring wildlife pictures...
But I actually SAW these things! I was there!
Pretend to be interested, ok?



There, that wasn't bad, was it? Only a dozen or so pictures. Just wait until you see me in the States next week- I left out the other 198.

2 comments:

Jill said...

So cool! Is that a water buffalo? (I've heard that everybody has one, but it seems that I don't).

It IS hard to to be tall -- we saw on a documentary that giraffes have a special organ that keeps their brains from exploding when they lower their heads.

Pinon Coffee said...

Aw! It wasn't a boring slide show! In fact, I should have been Quite Put Out if you went to the equator and wildlife refuge and took pictures and DIDN'T POST ANY. _That_ would have been bad. ;-)