Thursday, March 13, 2008

Obedience

Coming back was hard this time.

Maybe it reminded me too much of my first trip here- saying goodbye to my parents at O'Hare, waiting at the same gate, flying into Heathrow.

Maybe it's that I don't have a trip to the States planned right now, though I definitely felt like I didn't quite fit in North America this time.

Maybe it was just the emotional letdown after a very intense week (I promise I'll write a fun post and put up some pictures of the wedding soon!).

Maybe I was all too aware that I could have just gotten on a plane to New Mexico instead of to Nairobi. I've been to the US twice since I've moved, and yet never gone "home." I miss my church and my friends, and I feel those relationships cycling down yet another level. And corresponding relationships here haven't necessarily filled in that space, so I'm feeling disconnected.

And maybe most of all, it's that life here wasn't looking like an exciting adventure. The unknown is glamorous, and living in Nairobi doesn't feel that way right now. Perhaps I'm a bit of a drama addict- I like having a good story to tell, and I don't see many good stories on the horizon. Catching up on my grading isn't exactly riveting. Even grocery shopping has lost its edge. ;) Yes, it's good that I'm adjusting and not having to overcome giant difficulties every day. It's right that I have found a routine and some level of normalcy in my life. It was just hard to be excited about traveling for 30 hours to go back to normal- well, normal without family and with the now-expected "Welcome to Nairobi!" intestinal issues.

I'm a big whiner. My life here is good! I like my job, I've found a church, I'm putting down roots. Relationships take time, and I haven't even been here a full school year. As my friend Tim reminded me, "It took me about a year and a half each time I moved to get plugged in and find my people." It may be mostly the jet-lag talking tonight, but I'm struggling with lack of patience, with being separated from people who are important to me, and with uncertainty about my purpose here.

But one thing I am certain of: this is where God has me. He made it incredibly clear about a year ago, opening all the right doors at all the right times, confirming through trusted friends, and providing phenomenally for my material needs. Incidentally, He has continued to provide- my broken computer got fixed for free while I was Stateside, and I just bought a lovely little clunker of a car that will NEVER get broken into. =) And yet, despite all that clarity, I wonder what story God is telling through this chapter of my life. And even with my years of growing faith, I'm a little fearful that it's not a good story.

But I know that's not true. And so, regardless of my feelings, I obediently got on the plane back to Nairobi. I trust that God's will is good. I trust that His plans are to prosper me and not to harm me, to give me a hope and a future. But I need some encouragement right now, some external confirmation of the truths to which I internally hold. And I know my Great Provider will provide even that.

4 comments:

Angel said...

thank you for your honesty, beautiful friend. i love your last paragraph. my heart aches and echos those things exactly. i'm not getting on a plane back to nairobi, but i'm learning a lot about trusting God through obedience. and also remembering His heart for me. wow. good stuff. not easy stuff, but good stuff. i love you and miss you so very much. i miss our steam room chats. =) rest in Him and know that He is drawing near to you and you draw near to Him. shalom!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to echo angel's sentiments - it's pretty hard to put it better than that. It is a good place to be even though it is a hard place to be. You are prepared for God to do some amazing things in your life (no doubt that was His intention). In that sense, I envy you. It's easier (for me anyway) to fall back on the comforts of home for support rather than Christ. I pray that you would begin to experience the "Religious Affections" that Edwards expresses so sublimely - the reality that Christ lives in you; that becomes a fount of love and joy, coming of its own accord. I'm reviewing that book now for my devotions.

Don't forget to keep drinking coffee. I brought some Kona beans back from Hawaii to roast and for my money, Kenyan java rocks far above it.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

PS: Steve is going to try to keep a U2B vlog while in Japan which he will link from DoodleAlley.

Anonymous said...

Oh, my Sweet Girl! I am so glad that you have been able to come back to the States to be at Ben & Christy's wedding, but I know it wasn't "home". I hope you start feeling well again soon; that will help. When I'm discouraged in my wilderness of pain (is this how it's going to be for the next 40 yr?!), the Lord reminded me that He provided for the Israelites EVERY DAY with manna. He will provide for you & for me EVERY DAY these next 40 yr (or more) with His grace & provision. It IS a good story. And it is not only that--it is for your provision and protection. Love you, Mama

Anonymous said...

Hey there youngster... you wrote "I wonder what story God is telling through this chapter of my life. And even with my years of growing faith, I'm a little fearful that it's not a good story." Honey, the story is God's faithfulness in the day to day walk of life. Ups AND downs. He just wants you to be obedient to Him where ever He has you. Abide in Him my friend. He will bring the Glory to Himself.