Sunday, September 14, 2008

Mount Longonot Hike

So this past Saturday, I hopped in a van with 11 new teachers and drove into the Rift Valley to hike Mount Longonot. Pictures first, narrative second.

Parts are steep, dusty, (but still fun)
We saw some giraffe on the way up, but I'm afraid I've seen enough giraffe that I no longer take pictures of them. I just take pictures of the people taking pictures of them. On the other hand, it is awfully cool to happen upon a giraffe while you're hiking.

We still had enough energy to smile when we arrived at the rim. Chris was apparently tired enough to lie down. Naw, we just didn't know the camera was was aiming high enough. He was pretty dusty when he stood up.

The peak in the background is where we were heading. Yay for mountain hair!

The view from the very top

The girls, whose arm strength clearly had a lot to do with getting there

A few things of note:
- High Road Leaders are good at hiking food. Scott and Lara brought dried mangoes and gouda, greatly adding to my lunch on the rim. I brought blondies for Lara's birthday, which were the tip of the mountain reward. As Lara said, "You gotta love hiking. It's exercise with snacks!"

- A Kenyan driver's license is NOT sufficient evidence of residency at Mount Longonot National Park. Even though I had to have my residency in order to get it in the first place. Logical, eh? But my African negotiating skills are improving; I asked to meet the head ranger, and I greeted him appropriately and was very respectful and showed him my driver's license and explained that I hadn't brought enough money to pay the non-resident fee and I was a resident and we as a group were being very honest about who had their work permits and who didn't, and I did, and I promise I will bring my passport next time and I would appreciate it very much if he would give me the resident rate. Eventually he did. And it's true that it's all about the relationship- he greeted me when we came back down, smiled, and showed me where I could wash my hands. He was very kind.

- Doug will really enjoy this hike when he comes to visit in December. And I'll be sure to bring my work permit this time, as promised.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Looks so fun! Mount Longonot -- that's a pun waiting to happen, but I refuse to do it.