Sunday, April 19, 2009

Egypt Observations

You've probably noticed the delay in getting any Egypt info up since my return... How do I summarize a trip like that- the silly, the serious, the majestic, the tacky, the wonder, the frustration, the expected, the surprising?

Hm. Maybe I'll work from least to greatest. We went to McDonalds a lot. Five times in fact. I say this with utter embarrasment, but have to quickly add that I was a willing participant, and that we also went to Starbuck's, KFC, Pizza Hut, TGI Friday's, and Chili's. If I had been coming from the US to Egypt, I would have scorned these things and been disgusted by the sprawl of American marketing. Coming from Kenya, where none of those chains exist, they were welcome tastes of home. I maintain enough of my scorn to have mixed feelings about our eating habits, but I'll confess that I enjoyed my chicken crispers.

Another unexpected taste of home- I ran into people from Los Alamos in our little tour group! There were the 4 of us Rosslyn teachers, a woman from Tasmania, and a couple who work at the Lab. Weird. My Rosslyn friends are _starting_ to believe the stories I tell about "the other LA" after being asked questions like "What latitude do you live at?" =) I love nerds.

Of course the sightseeing was phenomenal: I'VE BEEN INSIDE A PYRAMID! You know, the Great ones! In Egypt! It was hot and stuffy and narrow (and made me want to sing the Indiana Jones theme). I've dipped my hand in The River Nile- our tour guides never referred to it as The Nile, nor The Nile River. Always The River Nile. I've feared for my life while an Egyptian cab driver takes his hands off the wheel to clap along to his favorite song while navigating crazy traffic. I've been to The Egyptian Museum. Not the wing in the British Museum, nor the stuff displayed in the Louvre. The one in Cairo. That one. I've been inches away from mummies and wondered at how their hair is still preserved. I've seen alabaster canopic jars with the organs still inside (ew). I now own some Egyptian cotton and know what the costume designer in The Incredibles was talking about. =) I've bargained for jewelry in an Arabic bazaar (didn't bargain in Arabic, of course), and I've touched hieroglyphics in the Valley of the Kings. I've wandered the catacombs in Alexandria and pondered The Citadel in Cairo. I've been dwarfed by the columns at Karnak and burned my feet on desert sand.

What I apparently _can't_ do tonight is get my pictures to upload, so I'll have to save my further musing for another date. But I hope you enjoyed this preview (hint: comments inspire further blogging).

2 comments:

Addie said...

You can count on me: THAT SOUNDS SO COOL! All I did was get married. :) Which was pretty cool too. I can't wait to see pictures! Rob and I just finished the E.Taylor version of Cleopatra, and it was so Hollywood-esque that I couldn't take much of it at face value. How amazing to be where all this known history has taken place! Ancient history intrigues me. The Oregon Trail...

Not so much. I'm glad you had fun and lived to tell about it!

Rebecca said...

Your eating reminds me of spending the day with the Byroms in Split and the McDonalds that was built into the castle wall!

So, did you know what latitude you live at?

Can't wait to see pictures :-)