Thursday, December 20, 2007

Travel

The airport announcements in Amsterdam are surprisingly urgent and guilt based: "Mr Nakazawa, traveling to Bahrain, YOU ARE DELAYING THE FLIGHT. Please board at gate A7. We are preparing to offload your luggage." I was shocked at Mr. Nakazawa's behavior and determined to never be that person, the guilty flight-delayer. At least, I was shocked the first 17 or so times I heard that style of announcement. By the end of my 9 hour layover, it was background noise, just like the recording on the moving sidewalks instructing no one in particular to "please mind your step. please mind your step." The Amsterdam airport is a wonder, with shiny floors and big spaces and a basically unenforced smoking ban. How very European. But the real highlight are the Comfort Seats- herds of big comfy reclining chairs, tucked into otherwise unusable space throughout the airport and perfect for sleeping while spooning with one's carry-on.

And so, after 36 hours, 2 lattes, innumerable naps, 3 on-board movies, countless glasses of water, a very strange chicken sandwich and a follow-up dramamine, I arrived ten minutes early in the District of Columbia. Passport control was no trouble, but baggage claim? I think my big black suitcase is out to get me. It looks basically like every other big black suitcase, so I inspect each one as it goes by. But I think my suitcase changes its appearance on purpose before exiting the aircraft, bragging to the other luggage, "I bet I can go past her at least 3 times without her recognizing me!" When I arrived in Nairobi, I rejected the suitcase as mine because, and I'm certain of this, the main zipper had switched sides. And this time, it had shed its large metal plate proclaiming "Atlantic" in easily distinguishable letters. So yes, it went past me repeatedly before I finally recognized it. I'm pretty sure I heard it snickering as I pulled through customs.

But it was soon drowned out in the sounds of reunion with my parents, complete with purple flowers, a few tears, and a down jacket for the equatorial dweller. America is strangely normal and surprisingly not. It's interesting the things you notice in a newly-new place: my nose is cold. The sunlight arrives at such a slanted angle. Internet pages load so quickly. There's so much space between the cars. Zeke is much grayer than when I left. But most important- I can feel my strength returning with each bite of USDA approved beef. Surely I will be whole and energetic by January.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you are at home and on the mend. Must be the growth hormones in the beef. Hippo steaks surely do not carry the same pharmaceutical punch.

Amsterdam: My sister works for a Dutch company and though she does not live there, she's been there quite a few times. Every Dutchie she's talked to believes that they deserve a vote in American national elections because of the influence we have on their economics. She conceded their point as long as they were willing to contribute to paying American taxes. For some reason, this seemed to offend them. If you run into a Hollander on your way back, just complement them on their chocolate.

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

HEY MRS. GATS!!! Gues who! here's a hint: N_ _ T _ _ fill in the blanks and you'll be led to another hint which'll give you the answer P.P. (post post) geeze sorry you got the mumps, really wish I knew what they were, oh yeah and I've grown 6 inches since last time you saw me.

Anonymous said...

oh yeah and my email address is godering2001@yahoo.com after you guess email me your address and I'll send you pics of my sisters! (and the rest of my ever-expanding family)

Anonymous said...

oops I ment: you guess me, and email your email address and I'll send you pics... sorry!