Monday, October 13, 2008

CFS

Ah yes, a Rosslyn tradition: CFS. It stands for "Really Long Days and Nights with Middle Schoolers" in Swahili. Just kidding. It stands for "Cultural Field Studies." In English.

And actually, the 3 days didn't feel that long this year- I'd been on the trip before, I knew some of what to expect, and I knew my coworker Tim and I would have each other's backs. I also felt more purposeful this time: our theme was Environmental Stewardship, and there were lots of ways to weave conversations and interactions around that idea. So I arrived at school Tuesday morning excited and ready.

The seventh grade had the shortest distance to travel, so we hung out in my classroom until the 6th and 8th grades were on their way. Former students of mine- do you miss the pi poster? =)

Free time always gives rise to interesting activities. I love this picture-so middle school. She's about to squash him like a bug.

The bus ride was fine, though I missed the hike on Crescent Island so I could take care of a girl who got a bit motion sick. We napped on the bus instead of hiking; I honestly can't complain. The class arrived at Elsamere in time for tea and sproutball (the best dodgeball variant I've ever seen- I'll have to teach it to you wyldlife leaders), and the next few days held campfires, water conservation activities, and afternoon at a local school playing soccer and touring each student's garden. We taught some sustainable farming skills, and I was pleased by the genuine interaction the students from both schools had with each other.

Of course the trip would not be complete without the boat ride to see the hippos:

Something you don't often see in North America- Lake Naivasha is surrounded and protected by papyrus.
The hippos are pretty close to the local beach- do you see how much bigger the mama hippo is than the babies?

A good Naivasha shot- Mount Longonot in the background (climbing pictures), acacia and papyrus on the shore, and hippos in the water.

The seventh grade arrived back at school on time Thursday afternoon. Parents remarked that I looked surprisingly energetic after 3 days with 41 seventh graders; thanks for your prayers for energy. And the long weekend for Moi Day came just at the right time- I slept most of the next day and haven't gotten sick, unlike several of my fellow chaperones.

All in all, it was a great trip. The academic work, biblical teaching, experiences, service project, and location all reinforced one idea: it pleases God when we take care of what He's given us. I've rarely seen such integration and clarity in a set of educational experiences, and I praise God for a wonderful week with my students and coworkers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do the hippos stay "corralled?" I know they are fierce. Did you just stay far enough away? Hippos and canoes don't seem to go together!

Anonymous said...

YES, Miss Gac, I DO miss your pi poster. In Algebra 2/Trig there was a short pi poster on the back wall, but I knew everything on it already. And this year, the walls of our math classroom are bare, bare, bare! I do have 10,000 digits in my binder, though... they cheer me up!

My little brother knows sproutball! He learned it at some day camp and wants to play it all the time. I guess I should learn it.

"Moi Day"? Rather egocentric of you, Miss Gac! (sorry, couldn't resist)