Saturday, August 4, 2007

For the Birds

I've met a lot of birds lately.

First came the ibises who roam the campus in the cool of the day, sticking their long beaks into the ground in our gardens and generally staying away from people. In contrast are the ever-present kites, which wikipedia describes as "raptors with long wings and weak legs which spend a great deal of time soaring. In general they feed on carrion but may also take live prey." We were warned in new staff orientation that the campus kites have been known to take keys from hands and barrettes from heads.

And finally, I recently met my favorite bird, the barbecued chicken. I was wandering across campus in the general direction of the computer lab when I saw a pillar of smoke. Since it was the middle of the day, I figured it wasn't the Holy Spirit... On closer investigation, I found my friends Chuck and Peggy maneuvering 44 whole raw chickens across a giant barbecue pit; they were providing lunch for the Kenyan workers at the school as a thanks for the blessing they are. They had quite the assembly line, chopping chicken wing-from bone, moving pieces into and out of the flame, and managing not to stab or burn each other in the process. Impressive. When I asked what I could do to help, Chuck requested that I bring each of them a coke and come back in a half hour to help serve the food. It was such a great opportunity for me- I really appreciate all that is done by the Kenyan staff, but I felt too new in my surroundings to appropriately express my thanks. This time I was admittedly piggybacking on someone else's good idea, but at least I could help. And so I got to serve two pieces of charbroiled chicken to each of the people who work so hard to make sure my students and I are able to do what we need to do. My fingers were burned, but my heart was happy.

Once everyone was fed, Chuck and Peggy gave me my own jipati (Kenyan tortilla) and piece of chicken. I was waiting for it to cool off enough to eat when a kite swooped down onto my plate, scared the crud out of me, and stole my chicken! The Kenyans got a good laugh out of the white girl who apparently doesn't know how to protect her food.

I laughed along with them and contentedly chewed my jipati.

3 comments:

Andrew said...

When you do learn how to protect your food, you should tells us. I grew up with three brothers, so I know a few techniques having to do with elbows. However, they don't seem like they would be much good against birds of prey.

I can just imagine you eating a tortilla, one hand holding a knife ready for action and your eyes scanning the sky for possible threats.

Jill said...

And I thought the ominous Los Alamos ravens (crows?) were scary.

What fun to just come across such an event. I so want to move to a commune.

Christina said...

You have tempted me into glimpsing my first Blog ever - congratulations! My mouth is now watering in envy as I sit, glaring at the dry granola bar poking out from behind my open laptop. But at least I am safe from ravening birds! (Sneaky co-workers are another story...)

Peace to you, in Africa!