Saturday, August 18, 2007

What's In A Name?

Now, with that title, I know a percentage of my readership (of a certain age and upbringing...) will immediately have a particular Petra song running through their heads. But we're going to move Beyond Belief (they got that too) and talk about names.

It's on my mind because school started this week, and I've been called "Teacher! Teacher!" an awful lot. It reminds me of when I was a 16 year old aide at the YMCA childcare program, and one little boy always called me "Mrs!" That's all. Not Jessie, not Miss Jessie, not Miss Gac, not even Mrs. Gac, but just "Mrs!" Anyhow, "Teacher-teacher!" has been my name this week. With the two new Asian girls who just started American school, I carefully explained that, though in their culture it was respectful to address all educators as teacher, in our culture we show respect by using the last name but putting "Miss" in front of it. I was proud until they referred to my coworker Paul as "Miss Bedsole." We've clarified that.

My last name presents a challenge even for native English speakers; I spent part of each class period the first day helping them say "Miss Gac" with confidence. And then I explained that since I was picky about how my name was said, I fully expected them to be picky with the pronunciation of their own names. Again, I was humbled. After seven years of Analisas, Ramons, Pedros, and only one Tianyi, I thought I could pronounce names. Il Gon, Eun Chung, Saemy, and especially Ouangatobi might beg to differ. On the other hand, I was told I am the only teacher to ever pronounce "Rodrigo Gaete" correctly on the first try. :)

Unfamiliar names are harder to remember, so I've discovered I can't do my seating charts this weekend like I normally would; I can't quite remember who's who. But in some ways that's a bonus- I've had more restful days off and spent them well. This afternoon some of the other teachers and I went to Hawker's Market, an open-air produce market about 10 minutes away. Here names are important too- if I buy from someone I don't know, I get called "madam" or "mzungu" (whitey) and get terrible prices. But if I buy from Michael, Lucy, or Eunice, they recognize me from last week, smile at me, call me Jessie, and give me a good price. In fact, if they do not have what I need, they will go to a neighboring stand owner, negotiate a fair price for me and introduce me to that person. Obviously, relationships are a pretty important factor here. I appreciate that.

Michael, the fruit stand owner we know, took us to the city park next to the market so we could feed the monkeys. We brought maize and bananas for them, and once I got over my fear that I one would bite me and I would catch a terrible disease, it was lots of fun. They hold your hand while they eat to make sure the food source doesn't go away, and they're obviously not shy! It's about a million times better than feeding the ducks at Ashley Pond, and I chronicled the event with a few pictures:
My friends the monkeys (though I don't yet know their names).
Michael and Jess, both monkey magnets.
A beautiful bouganvilla tree- they grow a little better here than in New Mexico.

6 comments:

Shawna said...

Hi Jessie,

I've enjoyed reading your blog. I know I would have reacted the same way about meeting the monkeys and feeding them. They seem to be a little more friendly than the birds.

I'm sure you will master all the names of the children. Praying God will help you learn them soon.

Take care,

Swan (alias Shawna)

ghamner said...

Hola, amiga. My friend Bubba has an "fool proof" method of remembering people's names... say his name in conversation with the person six times within the first minute of acquaintance. Though, that might not be so effective in your situation. I have utmost confidence that you'll be proficient in your students' names within the first two days of next week. I will be praying for such.

Life in La Puebla is not winter to spring. Little Rowan makes Mama sweat! But, we are well and think of you often. Love you, Gregarious Gac.

Jill said...

The market sounds loads more fun than the grocery store.

I was "Jill Teacher" for a year. I kindof liked it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessie...Mom & Dad told me about the monkeys while we were at Frontier. They are so proud of you. Of course they really miss you, as do we all. You are one of the bravest people I know. I'm proud of you, too, although I wish you could've waited a couple of years so Tyler wouldn't have to go through WL without you.

Thinking of you often, praying for you daily. Love reading about your "new" life.

Take care "teacher teacher"

love...cathyjoy

Unknown said...

Yipes, those are BIG monkeys!! I thought you had little rhesus monkeys. I'm trying not to think about Ebola or other simian diseases from the communicable diseases manual...sorry I scarred you that way too! What do you think Zeke would have thought?

Mama

Angel said...

yay for your triathlon t-shirt while feeding giant african monkeys! =)