Sunday, August 26, 2007

My Favorite Day So Far


Greetings, faithful readers (now up to 4...). I know you're surprised to hear from me again so soon, and I'd like to remind you of the first post about low expectations before I launch into a description of what I did today. It's just so cool that I can't _not_ tell you, but I make no promises about the quality of writing...

Today I got to go hiking! I can't ever remember going more than 2 weeks without spending significant time outside, and this was a hike worthy of ending the month-long famine. Four friends and I trekked in the Ngong Hills, of Out of Africa fame.

It was Astrid's idea (Norwegian teacher, red hair), and she and Brenton (red cap) provided the transportation. Ann and Jeremy were able to leave their small boys with a friend, so they came as well. It was a fun group- 3 MKs from Ethiopia, Kenya and Brazil, plus two boring American girls and a whole lot of pancake batter. Hiking with an armed guard took a little getting used to- since we're so obviously white and therefore rich (?), we had to hire Steven to walk with us. His ease in navigating the landscape put us all to shame.

The hike itself was beautiful (and steep, as you can see!).
After 3 hills, we stopped for food, because what is a hike without snacks, I ask you? We drank coffee (yay!) and made Norwegian pancakes on a camp stove. Astrid and Brenton did a great job with the food, and the squeezable strawberry jam was a tasty addition. I contributed pre-pancake peanuts and witty conversation.

I can't even explain how encouraging today's outing was- I got to do something familiar yet adventurous, there were multiple cultures represented, and above all, I was off campus! I actually experienced Kenya, not Little America. The scenery was incredible, we had great views of the city and of the Rift Valley, and there was plenty of hard work involved; the altitude is about the same as the Los Alamos Ski Hill, but the ups and downs of the trail were similar to hiking from the parking lot to the top of Pajarito, then back down, then up again, then taking a jeep trail over to Camp May, then do it all over in reverse. I think I've earned my teacher-girl bedtime of 9:00 tonight!

So I hope your week holds unexpected joys as well, and don't freak out too much about the guard. Just remember: he brought safety, not danger! And we were smart enough to bring him. Pray if you want to, but don't worry. It's not biblical. =)

10 comments:

Shawna said...

Hi Jessie,

I go to your blog a couple times a week to see if you've put anything on it and love reading your stories. Thanks for the pics, they're wonderful.

I'm glad you were able to do something that was fun and adventurous!

Take care and God bless you.

Unknown said...

Hi Jesse. I enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your photos. Thank you taking the time to write such thoughtful and detailed reflections. I can really get a (very small) sense of what it's like for you. I trust that God will bless you time and efforts there. I lived in the Philippines when I was 9-11 years old, with the Filipinos outside the airbase. Though it's been many a year, I still remember the culture shock, homesickness, etc. We pray for you at the men's prayer breakfast on Thursday morning at 6:30. God is with you. P.S. You're a very good writer.

Gary Dilts

Unknown said...

Jessie, so quickly you forget what Los Alamos is like: high mountain peaks, rolling armored vehicles, "checkpoints everywhere" and guards with M16s at every turn (tho you'd be hard-pressed to get them to take a walk with you anywhere ;)

There are a couple of glaring "Man details" that you omitted from your post:
1. How much did you have to pay Steven to take a walk with you?
2. What calibre is that gun?
3. What'd he use that gun on last?

More importantly, there are some blatant "Father details" that you left out (your dad had NO influence in these - solely from my OWN experience):
1. What kind of things might that scrawny boy be trying to defend you from?
2. Would he?
3. ARE you rich beyond measure by some means?

Jessielynn said...

Well, Daryl,

I am apparently rich beyond measure in overprotective fatherly men...

Jill said...

My guess is that you didn't ask him what he'd used the gun on last and didn't care about the calibre (or, like me, wouldn't have any mental scale for gun calibres). But how much did it cost is an interesting question. A $9 handmade coffee mug is a bargain compared to what it might cost here, but not a steal. What's expensive and what's cheap there? Is there anything impossible to get or prohibitavely expensive that you took for granted in LA? DO you feel rich? IS there green chile?

Jessielynn said...

There are many things that are, as you said, a bargain but not a steal. Many handicrafts are of course more expensive for me since my skin is white, but they are still way cheaper than they would be in a shop in the States. Western-style foods (mixes, pre-made things) are ridiculously expensive, as is shaving cream ($14 for a can). Appliances are also expensive- I saved all month for a $45 hairdryer. Produce is cheaper and WAY better- I got a dozen oranges, a half-dozen apples, and 3 avacados for about $5 altogether over at Hawker's Market.

Andrew said...

So I've been trying to find time all week to read your last two posts, and I finally did during lunch. I'm really glad that you decided to start a blog and share your adventures with us. It's way more bandwidth efficient than email, too =-)

Did you see anyone else on your hike, or is the area sparsely populated?

I have to admit that my first thoughts when seeing the pancake picture were that the strawberry jam was ketchup and I couldn't figure out why you put it on a tortilla.

Looking forward to your next post,

Andrew

Jessielynn said...

The area was sparsely populated during the morning on the way out, but by the time we came back we ran into many Kenyans (most reading their Bibles in the beautiful setting or playing soccer with fellow college students). Many people said to me, "Are you tired?" I guess I looked pretty bushed (note that there are no pictures of me on this particular post...).

Kevin, Kate and Olivia Hase said...

My first thought was that is was ketchup too! I bet strawberry jam tasted much better than ketchup would have. Though when you are hiking up steep terrain for several hours, I bet almost anything tastes good :)

What a beautiful area - so lush.

As for "Man Details" - Kevin says that he recognizes a Kalashnikov when he sees one (i.e. AK-47 - used in most Eastern bloc countries during the Cold War (thanks Wikipedia).)

Personally, I hope that Steven has not ever had to use that gun before and only carries it as a deterrant - but that is probably naïve of me. It's a good thing that I believe in a sovereign God - that way I don't have to worry about you...hiking out there...in the jungle, with an armed guard to protect you from...whoa! I'll just trust God to keep you safe.

We think about you every time that we pass Ashley pond now and Kevin remarks that he wants to go feed the monkeys cause that's way better than feeding the ducks!

BTW - did we miss another phone call attempt? I have to remember to bring my phone and leave it on in the car...I promise I will try this Sunday!

You are much in our thoughts and prayers dear friend.

Love,
K&K

angel-face said...

jessie the face! can i be faithful reader #5? =) i love reading your writing and hearing your voice as i read. it makes my heart happy. i love and miss you lots! i'll write more later...